- Olivia struggles with bitterness, a form of wrath. She’s bitter toward Davy and her mother. Have you struggled with bitterness in your life? How did it affect you?
- Olivia wears anger like a shield. Does anger really protect anyone from anything? If yes, when and from what?
- Davy has gone through Celebrate Recovery for his alcoholism. He claims to be reformed. Could you ever trust someone like Davy again?
- Two characters, Brian and Doug, have brain damage but it effects each differently. Have you ever known someone with brain damage from an accident? Were they more like Brian or Doug or neither?
- Olivia comes up with several recipes for essential oils. Do you use essential oils? Do you think they’re effective? Do you have any favorite recipes? (You can download Olivia’s recipe cards here.)
- Olivia also pursues alternative medicines for Brian. How do you feel about the use of herbs rather than traditional medicine? Have you ever used herbal remedies?
- Olivia must face an uncomfortable memory from her past, and it makes her stronger. Do you feel, in general, that facing up to our demons is beneficial? Or do you think it’s better to put the past behind us and try to forget?
- Child Protection Services has mandated that Olivia maintain a certain protocol if she wants to win back full custody without state intrusion. Do you know people who’ve had to deal with CPS? Do you feel, generally CPS is fair and helpful, or detrimental to the families?