I pursue joy. You might think it’s strange that someone who writes dark fiction is an avid follower of uplifting podcasts, self-help books and encouraging bloggers. Maybe I need them because I write dark fiction, but I think there’s another reason. I’ll tell you about that next month.
This month it seemed appropriate to write about one of the most well known joy builders – thankfulness.
Fiction is a wonderful but tough business. The highs are high and the lows are low. Learning to maintain a happy heart is a critical part of the job.
One thing I’ve found helps is to review my blessings. Not just the husband, kids, house, dog, kind of blessings, but specifically the wonderful things that have happened in my career over the past year.
- I finished and launched the third book in The 7 Deadly Sins Series, The Sanctity of Sloth (Which reminds me how grateful I am for my publisher and editor.)
- I spoke at 6 So. Cal. writing events – what an honor to be asked!
- O.C.Writers (the organization I direct) threw it’s first author event to celebrate women writers
- I taught two workshops at the Dallas-Fort Worth Writers Conference
- I met my publisher in person for the first time
- I wrote the first book in a brand new mystery series I’m very excited about (Am pitching to agents now. I’ll keep you all posted!)
- I re-released a book for writers with the amazing Megan Haskell – PUBLISH – Take Charge of Your Author Career
- Megan and I taught 4 workshops at the Southern California Writers Conference (Whew – tiring but great meeting so many wonderful people.)
- Megan and I taught our first private small group writing workshop (It was a big success and we’ll be teaching a revision workshop in January.)
- I started my first co-authored fiction project with the inimitable Kristy Tate.
- I’m speaking (spoke, depending on when you read this) at LitUP on Tuesday, Nov. 20th
- I had my first contact with book clubs who chose one of my books for their monthly read
On the personal side of life:
- My sister and nephew came to California to visit for the first time
- My Dad came to visit
- My husband’s company sponsored the building of a house in Mexico for a family in need
- My daughter adopted an adorable puppy, so I now have a grand dog
- I went to France for 3 weeks!! Amazing trip
- The annual family camping trip went off without a hitch
- My music duo, Eclectic Blends, got a regular monthly gig at a wonderful family restaurant – Stephano’s
Writing this was so encouraging. Looking for more joy? I highly recommend you make your own list, and please share some of the highlights in the comments below.